By Angelica Catalan
It’s June, and that means that it is time for Pride Month. Happy Pride to you all! LGBTQ+ Seniors have been paving the way for the LGBTQ+ community for years, and it is time to celebrate you and your journey. We want to encourage you to take time to appreciate and reflect on your journey. Today we would like to share some tips and events to celebrate pride!
Here are some tips for you to make the most out of this month:
- Reach out to friends and family—just a short phone call can help us feel connected to one another during this time! Take the time to share some stories with one another! Share the good, the great, and the ugly and take the time to appreciate your stories and lived experience!
- Remember you are never alone! There are many other LGBTQ+ individuals, allies, and support groups right here in Madison!
- Check in with your mental health—Pride month is a celebration, but it can bring up a wide variety of emotions, so make sure you are taking care of your mental health
- Continue to educate yourself about terms associated with the LGBTQ+ and the current fights for equality happening in our community!
- Attend Pride events! There are many virtual and in-person events going on to celebrate this month! Check out the events below and attend a few to meet new people, celebrate Pride, and have fun!
- Gay, Gray & Beyond Discussion Group: Members of the LGBTQ+ communities meet for friendly, open conversations on topics determined by those present
- Exploring Spirituality: A Learning & Discussion Group: This group looks at how the world religions deal with issues related to LGBTQ people. We also examine spirituality outside of religious institutions
- Other Senior Resources
- PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays)
- Other LGBT and Aging Resources
Thank you to our LGBTQ+ Seniors who have paved the way for what we celebrate today!
Learn more about programs that strengthen our communities at www.madisonseniorcenter.org or find us on Facebook .
This content is free for use with credit to the City of Madison - Madison Senior Center and a link back to the original post.
Category: Clubs & Groups, Health & Wellness, Know Your Resources