If you are unable to pay your rent on time, you may be at risk for eviction. Try to pay what you can! Be proactive and talk to your landlord if you are not able to pay. Communication is key!
- CDC Eviction Prevention Information
Phone: (608) 257-0006
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) issued an order pausing evictions until July 31, 2021, for those unable to pay rent due to the coronavirus. Check here to see if you are covered by this order and to produce a declaration to share with your landlord.
Dane CORE (COronavirus Rental Assistance) Program
The City of Madison and Dane County’s rental assistance program will be operated by Tenant Resource Center and called Dane CORE (COronavirus Rental Assistance) Program. This program aims to support tenants in the Dane County area who owe past rent, because of lost income or other financial hardships due to COVID-19. The pre-application portal for rent assistance is available on the Tenant Resource Center website
City’s Common Council provided funds to community partners who will be providing rental assistance to clientele already enrolled in their programming. Funds provided to those community partners are restricted and limited based on funding sources. The general public should submit rental requests by way of Tenant Resource Center’s online application portal.
Assistance with Application
- If you are looking for available community supports to complete the online application please check with the closest Joining Forces for Families office.
- City of Madison’s Financial Resources Hotline can provide information on documentation needed to access rental assistance.
- Dane County Collaboration of Black Service Providers is offering in person and support via zoom for people to complete applications to Dane CORE. For more information about times providers are available please use the following link: https://urbantriage.org/our-work/DCCBSP#
- Internet and computer access is available through Madison Public Library
Dane CORE Eligibility (updated 6/14/21):
- A member of the household must be qualified for unemployment benefits or be able to attest in writing that they have experienced a reduction in income, incurred significant costs, or experienced financial hardship due to COVID-19; and,
- Be able to demonstrate the risk of experiencing homelessness or housing instability by having rent arrears notice or eviction notice.
- Applicants must have a valid signed lease.
- Household income under 80% AMI:
- Household size of 1: $55,950/year
- Household size of 2: $63,950/year
- Household size of 3: $71,950/year
- Household size of 4: $79,900/year
- Household size of 5: $86,300/year
- Dane CORE assistance covers past due rent only.
Other Resources for Renters
- Tenant Resource Center
Phone: (608) 257-0006
For questions about your rights as a renter, how to negotiate with your landlord, and rental resources.
- Legal Action of Wisconsin
Phone: (608) 256-3304
Provides a video and resources on illegal evictions and legal assistance to low-income and senior individuals.
- Housing Navigation Services
Phone: (608) 826-8093
Can assist with finding and applying for housing. Provided by Catholic Charities.
- Homeless Services Consortium of Dane County
Phone: (608) 266-6254
If you are homeless or in danger of losing your housing during the COVID-19 crisis, the Homeless Services Consortium of Dane County guide has a listing of available resources.
Financial Resources Hotline
Madison residents seeking help navigating the above resources or other financial concerns due to the COVID-19 pandemic can contact a new, free hotline to be connected with a “Financial Navigator” – a person they can talk to about their financial concerns. Learn more or sign up for a session.