Station 9 is located on Madison's near-west side. It houses Engine 9 and Squad 9 and is staffed daily by four firefighters who work 24-hour shifts. The firehouse was built in 1957 to accommodate Madison's then-west side.
- Engine 9 – a 2021 Pierce Enforcer Engine with Pierce Manufacturing's new state-of-the-art Idle Reduction Technology (IRT). IRT helps the Madison Fire Department take a big, important step toward reaching the City of Madison's goal of zero net carbon emissions by 2030. The new Enforcer Engine has a 1,250 gallons-per-minute fire pump and 500-gallon water tank along with ground ladders and 3000 feet of fire hose. Additionally, Engine 9 carries emergency medical equipment including a defibrillator, oxygen, and immobilization gear.
- Squad 9 – a 2000 Pierce Squad provides an air cascade system, tower lighting, extrication tools, and rehab supplies.
- 1 Lieutenant, station officer
- 1 Apparatus Engineer (driver) operating the engine
- 2 Firefighters staffing the engine
In the early 1950s the University of Wisconsin-Madison Board of Regents formed a plan to sell 600 acres of University Hill Farms land (which was used by the School of Agriculture) to an expanding City of Madison. Station 9 was built a few years before the construction of Hilldale Shopping Center. In a nod to that early history, the crew has claimed and celebrates its identity as The Original West Side of Madison.
Station Nine News
April 29, 2022
Fire Station 9 Welcomes New Tulip Tree In Celebration Of Arbor Day
April 18, 2022
Ready For ‘Combat’ – Crews Train To Save Fellow FirefightersThe MFD Fire Training Division oversees a comprehensive year-round training program that is as versatile in its curriculum and tactics as the field of firefighting demands. Read more »
April 1, 2022
Fire Chief Steven Davis Retires From the Madison Fire DepartmentThe Madison Fire Department says goodbye today to its eleventh career fire chief, Steven Davis, who retires after more than 32 years of dedicated service to our community. Drawn by the allure of fire trucks, Davis was attracted to firefighting at a young age. For many, riding on fire trucks is a childhood dream that fades over time. For Davis, it was a calling. Read more »