Contractors & Permits
Working with the City of Madison on construction projects both public and private requires a lot of documentation, process and information through Public Works.
The Public Works process can be complex, but we hope to make the steps easier for you as you consider working with the City or within the City on development and redevelopment.
The mission of the Construction Inspection Section is to provide an on-site City of Madison representative for Public Works construction projects. This person makes sure the contractor follows contract requirements for the job. This section also can help lead the Public Works process for anyone looking to work with the City.
This section also does the following:
- Monitors, inspects contractor work on City public works construction
- Staff responds to questions, complaints from residents impacted by construction projects
- Survey layout for new, proposed construction projects
- Complete as-built records of construction for mapping/records
- Inspect all work on new private construction in the public Right of Way (new areas of development, redevelopment projects that affect sidewalk or streets)
- Manage the annual Citywide sidewalk program
- Manage City Resurfacing Program