Building Inspection plan review and zoning review counters will be open to the public by appointment only.
Parking Lot / Site Plan
Our process and forms were designed with input from customers and City staff who provided tips on how to prevent errors and reduce time. Our process works best if we receive complete, accurate and legible information.
Discuss with City Staff
Before you submit your plans and required information, discuss your proposal with City staff. See the Parking Lot / Site Plan Approval Packet, Section G, for staff phone numbers.
Who to Contact
Zoning: (608) 266-4551.
What to Include
At a minimum, you need:
- Parking Lot / Site Plan Approval Packet
- Four (4) sets of scaled (1” = 20’) drawings (if paper copies are required)
- A complete digital plan set to email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The required filing fee, mailed, delivered at our downtown office, or payment taken over the telephone.
To determine the other items you need to include, answer these questions:
- Is this parking lot an approved conditional use or PD Zone?
If yes, attach signed copy of Letter of Conditions.
- Is this parking lot an alteration to an existing conditional use or PD Zone?
If yes, attach signed alteration application.
- Does this parking lot have a joint driveway or joined parking lots on separate parcels?
If yes, attach Easement Agreement.
- Will this parking lot have outdoor lighting?
If yes, attach Lighting Plan and manufacturers specifications for fixtures.
Prepare Your Plans
Use the Parking Lot / Site Plan Approval Packet to be sure you show all the information that is needed for review of your plans/project.
Submit Checklist, Plans, Attachments and Fees
email to email@example.com
Where to Go
Madison Municipal Building
Department of Planning & Community & Economic Development
215 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd Suite 017
Madison, WI 53703
(dropbox for 11" x 17" maximum plan sets at Doty Street Entrance)
Hours: Monday – Friday, 7:30 am – 4:30 pm
A zoning staff person will review your application to see if it’s complete. If it’s not complete, the staff person will return your plans to you and explain what other items you need to submit. If it is complete, a zoning staff person will accept the application for review.
Track Plan Review
You can track the progress of the city agencies’ reviews on the Site Plan Review Status website. If an agency requests additional information, submit the materials directly to that agency. If a plan is rejected by an agency, revised plans will need to be resubmitted for a new review.
Pick Up Plans
Usually the parking lot/site plan review process takes about 14 or more days, depending on project complexity and agency requirements. It can take longer if an agency requests additional information or if the plans require revision and resubmittal. You will receive an email notification when the plans have been approved, or track status on the Site Plan Review Status website. Approved plans will be emailed to the project contact person when Site Plan Review is completed.
Pay all fees at the Permit Counter and get your permit(s) and a signed, approved copy of your plan, hard copy or digital.
Related Forms & Handouts
- Parking Lot / Site Plan Approval Application & Checklist
- Getting Your Plan Approved
- Parking Lot Plan Site Information Block
- Landscape Worksheet
- Engineering Permits
- Outdoor Lighting
- Fire Apparatus Access and Fire Hydrant Worksheet
- Parking Stall Reduction Request Application
- Accessible Parking Stalls
- Addressing Guidelines