Duties and Qualifications
Citizen involvement is essential to conduct open, accurate and fair elections in Wisconsin. Please read through the following duties and qualifications of Election Officials to help you in making an informed decision. The Wisconsin Elections and Ethics Commissions (previously GAB) has also prepared a list of Frequently Asked Questions - look for the "Election Inspector/Poll Workers" category.
- Set up the polling place.
- Register voters.
- Issue ballots.
- Record who votes.
- Monitor the election equipment.
- Complete Election Day forms.
- Tally write-in votes.
- Close the polls.
- Be an eligible voter in Dane County (an adult U.S. citizen who has resided in Dane County for at least 28 days, and not disqualified from voting).*
- Have never been convicted of a felony.*
- Attend training prior to every election you work.
- Ability to effectively work well with multicultural populations.
- Commitment to making City of Madison polling locations equitable, accessible and inclusive environments for democracy.
- Watch and abide by the Prohibited Harassment & Discrimination at the Polls training.
- Pay close attention to detail.
- Speak, read, write, and understand English.
- Be capable of performing each task at the polling place.
- Perform duties in a non-partisan manner.
- Abide by state and federal election laws.
- Never engage in electioneering at the polling place.
- Treat all voters with respect.
- Treat Election Officials and Clerk’s Office employees with respect.
- Be free from the influence of alcohol and/or drugs while at the polls.
- Not be a candidate for any office on the ballot for that election.
- Regularly check e-mail for communications from the Clerk's Office.
- Provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test, or obtain a medical or religious exemption in advance of working the polls.
* Anyone who is not a U.S. citizen or who has been convicted of a felony may only be appointed to the position of Greeter, and may not be appointed as an Election Official.